For the residents of Tenafly, NJ that have not heard about the Annual Tenafly 5k Run and Dog Walk and the non-profit organization that created this event – here’s some information about the organization and its primary fundraiser.
According to The Tenafly Educational Foundation (TEF) Facebook site, The Tenafly Educational Foundation (TEF) is a community based, non-profit 501c3 organization, established in 1984 to fund programs and projects that promote creativity, and enhance academic experiences in the Tenafly Public Schools. The Organization’s mission is to award grants for teacher-initiated projects. The funds are used to purchase new equipment and implement innovative programs that are not provided for by the annual school budget, enriching the excellent education provided by the school system. The contributions made by caring members of the Tenafly community have created many wonderful opportunities for the students of Tenafly. In addition to private donations, the Organization is funded by four fundraising events that occur throughout the year consisting of: The Fall Membership Mailer, The Tenafly Thank-a-Teacher Program, and the Annual Tenafly 5k Run and Dog Walk. The TEF Board members and school representatives meet the third Wednesday of each month to review grant proposals. You can find out more about TEF at their website. They go on to inform the public about their meeting location and dates – which is at the Tenafly Middle School in the Media Center at 8pm.
What is nice about TEF being on Facebook is you can choose to be a friend and learn about what is going on if you do not have the time to attend the meetings.
On Sunday, June 6, 2010 the 12th Annual Tenafly 5k Run and Dog Walk will be held with several events being offered:
There is the:
- 5k Run: a 500 point Grand Prix Event and uses the ChampionChip timing system. This event has previously hosted the USATF-NJ Masters Championship Race.
- 5k Rolo Dog Walk: this event is named after a local therapy dog. Dog owners can run or walk with their dogs.
- Dog Parade: features an agility and obstacle course. A friendly “competition for the Loudest Bark, Best Hair and Nails, Best Trick for a Biscuit, Dog and Human Look-Alikes, and the famous Dog and Human Dance Contest”.
- 1-Mile Fun Run: for children and people who just want to have fun
- Challenge Run for Children and Adults with Special Needs: a 1-lap run on the track and a challenge course on the infield
- Family Health and Fitness Fair: not an event but, still a fun thing to do
This is the largest fundraiser for the Tenafly Educational Foundation. 100% of the proceeds fund educational grants for Tenafly students and teachers.
If you don’t want to participate in an event – maybe you will come out and support the local schools by attending the events.
Want to know your home value? Contact Tami Rapaport’s Team
Coldwell Banker Residential Brokerage
130 Dean Drive
Tenafly, NJ. 07670