There was a great idea posted by realtytimes.com that I wanted to share with you. Develop a wish list! Creating a wish list will be your first step to finding a home that meets all your wants and desires.
Use these 10 categories to help you figure out your dream home:
1. Fixer-upper vs. Move-in ready: Be sure to sit down and consider what you want homeownership to mean for you.
2. Location: Is it important to be near the hustle and bustle, or away from it?
3. Schools: Be sure to research school districts before starting your home search.
4. Architectural Style: Page through magazines, do searches online, and read up in architectural books to decide on what style of home best fits your aesthetic.
5. Upgrades: There are certain upgrades that buyers desire. Make a list of what upgrades you would most like to see in your dream home.
6. Interior Styling: By having in mind the type of interior you most desire, you can cut out homes that will be too much work.
7. Great Yard Expectations: Be sure to contemplate on what best fits your lifestyle. Yard or no yard?
8. Old vs. New: Old homes can carry a lot of charm, but they can also require hefty maintenance. New homes are not maintenance free, but they may come with certain warranties from the builder to protect you for a few years down the road.
9. To Garage or Not Garage: Detached garages are perfect for homeowners who work on noisy or smelly projects. Other buyers prefer to have a warm walk from the kitchen to their car each morning. What works best for your lifestyle?
10. Detached or Attached: Single-family detached, condo, or income property?
You’re never going to get EVERYTHING you want unless you build a home so don’t expect to. However, by making a wish list, you will be guiding in the right direction.